A Little History – Birch Memorial Clock Tower
The Victorian-style tower was unveiled in 1909. It was a dedication to the first British Resident of Perak, J.W.W. Birch, who was assassinated at Pasir Salak on 2nd November, 1875.
The four sides of the first level of the tower exhibit statues that represents loyalty, justice, fortitude and patience, the four “Virtues of British Administration”. The four sides of the second level of the tower are colorful murals, which show a total of 49 famous professions of different eras. They include scholars, soldiers, astrologers and sculptors.
The clock tower has one mother bell, 6 ft 6 in. in diameter and weighing 10 cwt., and four smaller bells weighing together 10 cwt., which used to strike the chimes of Big Ben.
The Birch Memorial Clock Tower located at Jalan Dato Sagor, standing in front of the Ipoh State Mosque.